To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So just do it.

― Kurt Vonnegut

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Update from Debra - Surgery, Chemo and New House

I thought it was time for a quick update on Wade's health.  This week marks three major milestones for Wade and me.  Wade is 5 weeks past his reconstructive abdominal surgery, he starts his first round of chemo here in Austin and we moved in to our new house on Monday.

The surgery he had at MD Anderson was pretty significant but he powered through the tough recovery and has slowly adjusted to his tummy's new way of digesting food and is now back to eating regular meals.  I've been amazed by how quickly he lost weight and how long it is taking him to put it back on.  It's a problem you never think you will have.  I think he's tired of all of the high calorie / protein shakes I make him but he consumes them diligently and I'm really grateful.

Wade is starting his first chemo treatment tomorrow morning.  His doctors want him to do 6 months of chemo with the goal of stabilizing / reducing the tumor in his bile duct and suspicious spots outside of his liver.  If this is successful then our friends at Methodist Hospital in Houston will consider putting him on the liver transplant list again.  A new liver for Wade = no more cancer.  This is our dream, focus and singular goal.  So, join me saying a little prayer that Wade's body chemistry responds favorably to the combination of chemo he will undergo.  The plan is that he will do the chemo infusions here in Austin starting tomorrow every two weeks for 6 months.  They will do a scan half way through to see how he is progressing.

Finally, WE MOVED IN TO OUR NEW HOUSE!!!!!  We are loving our new place.  We're still living out of boxes in a few rooms and we're missing a lot of furniture but we're getting there.  Please stop by and say hello. Our new address is 300 Westwood Terrace off Bee Cave Road in Westlake.

I'm an eternal optimist.  It is the only way I know how to wake up every day in order to be the best wife, mom, daughter, sister, sister-in-law and friend I can be.  I believe we can beat this and we are focused on it every single day.  We continue to be blown away by everyone's support and love.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I have learned so much from all of you about how to genuinely care for people.

Be on the lookout for Wade's next post.  I'm sure the chemo infusion room will inspire some interesting thoughts from him.

Lots of Love, Debra

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on settling in to a new home, Debra! I see that you’re loving everything about it. Did you post any photos? Well, I hope you’re done unpacking things by now, and already getting to know your new community. Good day!

    Naomi Walters @ Chicora Real Estate

    ReplyDelete