To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So just do it.

― Kurt Vonnegut

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

From the first day again - short reprise

I found this today when I was looking for information on integrated medicine. It's just a little diddy about my first chemo pills. But I liked the part about Debra so I posted it. 

Sept 23, 8:31 AM – The two chemo pills are now officially down the hatch. No one is going to get them out of me now. They are marked 77 on one side and 161 on the other. 77 seems to be a perfect combination. 161 adds to eight. It’s just a pill, right? Who cares what’s imprinted on it in a factory in Boston’s suburbs where all medical stuff happens? Only someone who is putting poison in their body I guess. I wonder what those numbers mean.

I looked them up. Mine are special pills. The “normal” Xeloda pills say “Xeloda” on one side so you don’t take them for birth control or something. And they give the amount of the drug on the other side, either 150 or 500 for mg. So my pills are especially for me. I am looking forward to seeing if all of them have unique numbers on them, or was it just my two this morning? “77” to me is a very good omen. 161… well I just don’t know.

I walked for an hour afterward with my companion Debra. I am having phantom side-effects already. My hands are numb. My stomach is upset. Light hurts my eyes. My skin is sensitive. People are friendlier. All but one of those was phantom.


But we walked and walked.  Deb is so fast. That’s why I love her. So walkie walkie. Like a cute little meerkat.

No comments:

Post a Comment